Saturday, 28 November 2009
Hebden Bridge to Keighley Hike/pubcrawl
Stumbled across a couple of little bothies/shelters @ SD971 331 and SD981 353 See the photos.
View Hebden Bridge To Standbury in a larger map
Sunday, 15 November 2009
Live blog from haweswater

In the haweswater hotel and waitig for my venison dinner.
The weather has been terrible, walked 16 miles yesterday and slept at mosdale cottage, weather too wet and widy to camp. Just 6 miles today back to hawes water. Oscars paws are very saw, poor bugger.
To wet to get camera out soo not many pictures.
Thursday, 12 November 2009
A fellow Bongo Backpacker!
Only thing is his blog is very impressive and puts my feeble efforts so far to shame.
I shall have to step up my game.
http://backpackingbongos.wordpress.com/
Sunday, 8 November 2009
Terrible weather again!
Once again I watched the weather carefully and decided not to go wildcamping.
Am I being soft?
On Saturday I decided to get out and do a hike to see if I made the right decision.
I decided to do a walk from Dunsop Bridge
The weather was atrocious, much of the walk was ankle deep in mud and I even had to wade across a stream come river at one point.
My rain coat kept me really dry, had a little sweat build up but the armpit vents soon got rid of that once I opened them up.
Boots and soles are turning out fantastic, very comfortable, no rubbing or burning sensations.
I think it would have been a pretty miserable camping trip.
That said I really enjoyed the walk.
Map below and photos to follow.
View Dunsop Bridge Hike in a larger map
Tuesday, 3 November 2009
The best laid plans...
View North Western Carneddau in a larger map
However, it quickly became clear that Sundays weather was going to be horrid. saturdays weather looked really good so it was a shame to miss out, especially when it was going to be Mal's first wild camping trip.
So I planned the following escape route to Dulyn Bothy just in case.
View North Western Carneddau escape routes to bothy in a larger map
Keeping a close eye on the weather, by Friday I had decided that the winds would be so high on the Sunday that walking up in the mountains would be a bad idea.
The following are the routes we did. We parked as close to the Bothy as we could get, walked a 12.5 mile loop taking in the Bwlch Eryl Farchog ridge (SH 694 633), stayed at the bothy and had only a 3.5 mile walk back to the car.
This turned out to be a good move, all the little streams were raging torrent and the foot bridge (SH 724 674) we needed to cross was submerged and only just crossable.
View North Wales in a larger map
View North Wales Day 2 in a larger map
Saturday, 31 October 2009
Friday, 30 October 2009
Live blog - Snowdonia weekend
On my way to liverpool to meet up with tom and mal, then onto snowdonia.
This will be Mal's first wild camp. Unfortunatly Sunday weather looks terrible. I have planned lots of escape routes and a bothy incase the wind is going to be as bad as it looks.
Will try and live update if signal is good enough.
Also this will be the first real test of the new battery for my Google phone, so hopefully will be able track the whole walk and still have power to listen to some music at night.
Won't reveal the location just yet, don't want trick or treaters at the tent.

