Friday 25 September 2009

What to do with my first post?

Where to begin?

I have been camping as long as I can remember. My Gran has some great stories of me an my brother going away with my granparents camping to give my mum and dad respite.

My grans favourite story is how my younger brother came on his first camping trip. He was so excited. I had told him he wasn't a true camper until he had woken up after his first night under canvas. On awaking he started shouting ' I'm a real camper now aren't I!' my reply was simply 'stupid boy!' which my gran still find hilarious.

I can't remember much of these early camping trips apart from short flasbacks of speeding around on bikes and fishing with nets in ponds, but the love of camping as always stayed with me.

Recently my granddad disapeared while visiting them. He returned about half an hour later covered in dust. He had climbed up in to the loft and returned with loads of old retro camping kit. The memories came flooding back.

However, I have only just discovered the joys of lightweight backpacking and wild camping.

My backpacking began with my wife coming home saying she would like to go to America with her friend. I said sure no problem but im going to Colorado. Now im not entirely where that idea had come from but a week later I had booked a flight to Denver. I knew unless I booked the flight it wouldn't happen. I will post a report of my adventures in Colorado later, but the simple act of Jo wanting to go to America has opened up a whole new world to me of adventure.

It is my hope that this blog will track not only my adventures but my errors, learnings and achievments in this new found hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment